City of Miramar Youth Advisory Council
Have you ever wished you could make a difference in your community?
Do you want to learn more about the inner-workings of your municipal government?
Do you believe you would be a good representative of your peers?
Apply to become a member of the City of Miramar Youth Advisory Council.
The program is overseen by the Office of the Mayor and the Chief of Police.
- Miramar Youth Advisory Council members will be eligible for a Miramar Youth Advisory Council Scholarship
- Council members will be eligible to receive up a $1,000.00 scholarship in their senior year
- Council members must participate in the Miramar Youth Advisory Council a minimum of 2 years and be in good standing in their Senior year of High School to be eligible to receive any scholarship monies
- Leadership activities which will provide hands-on leadership development and training; with special emphasis on highlighting the inner-workings of government
- Annual Council Research Project – A research paper written on a relevant topic, chosen by the Mayor and Chief of Police, which explores relevant conceptual, research, and policy issues
- National League of Cities Youth Advocacy Board – Council members will partner with the National League of Cities Youth Advocacy Board (Youthscape, etc.)
- “Inside Government” facilities tours and presentations – Council members will tour various city departments and facilities, and will receive information about their functions and operations in the city
- Service events – Council members will participate in various events, held by the city, which provide assistance and give back to the community (i.e.: holiday tree lighting, ribbon cuttings, Relay for Life etc.)
- Mandatory attendance (on a rotating basis) at all City Commission Meetings as a representative of the YAC
- Mandatory shadowing of a city department (scheduled is coordinated by the students with city department representatives so as not to conflict with school)